Washington Hospital Master Plan


Project Description

When Washington Hospital opened in 1958, it served a community of 18,000 people; today it serves more than 350,000 residents and is expected to grow over the next several years. Upgrades were needed not only to ensure the hospital is able to continue to provide care in the event of a disaster, such as an earthquake, but also as a result of the growing population throughout the District.

In 2004, the Washington Township Health Care District Board of Directors developed a long-range master plan to meet this anticipated future demand. Phased projects include: the Consolidated Central Plant Project, the new Center for Joint Replacement building, the Morris Hyman Critical Care Pavilion and a new inpatient tower. The final phase will allow for the remaining portions of the existing hospital to be converted into medical office space and complete the new main entrance to the hospital.

Cammisa + Wipf worked with the master planning team to study the campus, constraints, costs, and future systems, and run scenarios of different electrical, low voltage, and IT system structures to serve the site. Strategizing where the services in the building should be and where the new facilities should be located to reduce impact on the environment, traffic, and increase the facility aesthetics. They created electrical engineering reports for each scheme, and participated in the presentation to WHHS board, then the City of Fremont Building Department, and finally the Mayor and City Council. The final scheme was then prepared for a ballot measure vote.

Project Details


Washington Hospital Healthcare System




Fong & Chan Architects


Fong & Chan Architects